Wednesday 25 May 2011

Some scrolls...

Hey!

Finally I have little time to update this blog.



This is one blank scroll I painted. I started it 2 years ago, but forgot to finish it xD I like this style a lot, but I hate painting/drawing it, hehe



Two blanks I made. I kinda fell in love with the font I used on bottom one.





And I have been mostly doing/cursing this German Brick Stitch patches. Some pint this will be small pounch for my friend (who is my sock-slave these days ;) ) I may scan the 1st attempt to do this technique, it looks so wrong and amusing, hehe. Anyhow, as these came relatively well, I might have courage to try harder patterns.

Things to do this summer:

- my 1st (and maybe only) patch for the 'Dragons' wallhanging. deciding the colors is the most difficult task xD
- 2 tunicks and trousers for my friend, partly handsewn, so It takes time
- 3 scrolls
- at least ONE one needleroll for MYSELF

yeah... doing something just for yourself is bloody hard. It seems all I do is something for friends or for SCA.

so, what have YOU been up to? Tell me!

1 comment:

Laurel Shimer said...

Hello, I just found your blog because I have been trying to find the answer to a question that I thought would be easy - but it isn't. (question is in 'Second')

First, I must say that I really like your blog design! I have a hard time getting my blog postings to look good on top of my background and now I can see it's possible in blogspot, not to have all white behind the posting, I need to figure out how you do that. I really like your blue and red vine'y scroll. What will you use it for? I do everything in Photoshop, though I enjoy making things by hand too, but all my graphics are based on photos I take and then alter either a little or quite a lot. I try to only use my own or my husbands photos as the base for my illustrations.

Second, I wonder if you know the answer to my question. That question is - was a needle used to do whitework, blackwork embroidery during the English Elizabethan era - called a 'needle' or was it called something else? I know a 'bodkin' was a tool used to pull ribbons or things through casings and that is probably not the right word. I found pictures of some renaissance needles on ebay and they call them 'needles' but that may just be because that is a modern term and they wanted buyers to find them.

I'm working on a short time travel story for my art journal/podcast and the person in the story is a sewer who goes back to the Tudor era and gets a chance to make the sorts of items she sees in her trip to the Victoria and Albert. But she will need to know what a needle is called where she's going!

My email is lshimer@my.smccd.edu if you have any ideas for me.

Looking forward to reading more of your blog and also picking up some design ideas along the way!